DENVER — Colorado high school football is back on this fall — at least for the districts that decide to play.
The Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA) on Wednesday voted to allow schools to play fall football, if they choose to do so.
The variances from Gov. Jared Polis' COVID-19 response team will also allow Colorado schools the opportunity to choose to play fall seasons for field hockey and sideline spirit.
As of Thursday afternoon, we don't have a full list of the districts that will play — many were still making that decision. (Check our running list of Denver-area districts below).
But we have an idea of what this unique season will look like, and what the spring season will look like for the schools that decide to wait.
CHSAA on Thursday outlined the format and rules for football this school year.
Here's what schools, players and fans can expect, via CHSAA Now:
• Schools have the option to play in Season A (fall) or Season C (spring). Districts must decide by 8 a.m. Monday, and their decision applies to the entire football program, meaning sub-varsity teams as well.
• Schools can play in one season, fall or spring.
• CHSAA will name a champion for each season.
• All teams will play a six-game regular season. For those that don't make the playoffs, they can schedule a seventh game against another team that doesn't make the playoffs.
• While some games could be postponed or cancelled due to COVID-19 precautions, teams must play at least four regular-season games to qualify for the postseason.
• The playoffs will be an eight-team bracket for each class and seeded by the CHSAA Seeding Index.
Season A Dates
Sept. 24 — First practice
Oct. 8 — First game
Nov. 21 — First round of playoffs
Nov. 28 — Playoff semifinals
Dec. 5 — State championships
Season C Dates
Feb. 25 — First practice
March 11 — First game
April 24 — First round of playoffs
May 1 — Playoff semifinals
May 8 — State championships
Denver-area districts that will play in Season A (fall)
**This list will be updated as we confirm which districts are playing
— Cherry Creek School District