BOULDER, Colo.-- The Pac-12 Conference presidents are scheduled to meet Tuesday and that could mean a vote to potentially postpone the fall football season until spring or try to keep going as scheduled, despite the challenges the coronavirus pandemic presents for contact sports. Regardless, a delayed or canceled season would have a huge impact across the board.
It has been very quiet around Folsom Field. The fear is this silence will last through the fall football season.
“Well, my Saturdays are going to be a little less interesting,” one college football fan told Denver7.
Players have taken to social media to express their desire to play, even backed by President Trump. Many fans agree.
“Yeah I think they should,” one fan said.
“I think it's a bad idea for them to not. Canceling it right now is just a bad decision,” another added.
All sports fans whom Denver7 spoke with wished to remain anonymous for this story.
And it's not only fans who worrid. Health concerns during the pandemic have many universities reconsidering the fall season as well.
“This is the center of pre- and post-game campus life. It's a huge cash flow boost for us. Football is a big part of our profitability for the whole year,” the owner of Boulder staple The Sink, Chris Heinritz, said. “We'll have 800-1,000 people thru on a Saturday,” he added.
And if there's no fall football.
“It's hard to say. How much worse can it get?” he asked.
Because it's been that bad of a year.
“We're not expecting to make any money this year. We're just hoping to be alive when it's all over,” Heinritz said.
The Big Ten, presumably the first to announce postponing its season, has plenty of Colorado alumni.
“There's fou hours of free time to do something different I guess,” University of Wisconsin Mile High Chapter Board Member Beth Douma said.
And the alumni bars will suffer without fans to come watch.
“I was able to get in touch with one of them, the Kentucky Inn and they of course were devastated,” Douma added.
Denver7 reached out to CU administration and athletic department officials about what a postponement would mean to them. They said they plan to address the situation once it shakes out, which could potentially be as soon as Wednesday.