Broncos' Wade Phillips returns to work after scary sideline collision Sunday

Posted at 2:54 PM, Oct 31, 2016
and last updated 2016-10-31 16:54:09-04

CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- His stubbornness gave him away.

Gary Kubiak believed Wade Phillips was OK after Sunday's frightening sideline collision when he argued with the the head coach about leaving early Monday. Phillips returned to work at Dove Valley, insisting he was fine after San Diego running back Melvin Gordon plowed him him over during Bradley Roby's interception return for a touchdown.

"Thanks and I appreciate everyone's concern," tweeted Phillips Monday. "I am OK and back to work at what I love. I get the big hit award for the week."

Phillips exited the stadium on a backboard and his neck strapped down as a precaution. He was treated and released, and involved with game planning for the Oakland Raiders.

"He's sitting in the back of the meeting just now. He's got a big smile on his face," Kubiak said. "He's sore, but he's feeling good and back at it. I'm trying to get him to go home and rest a little bit. He doesn't want to do that. He's good. He's himself."

This marks the second time in 11 games an opposing player has knocked Phillips off his feet. Pittsburgh wide receiver Martavis Bryant slammed into Phillips during the AFC Divisional Playoff game last season.

Kubiak said there's been no discussion of moving Phillips to the booth to coach. Phillips prefers to be on the sideline to communicate with his players. Linebackers coach Reggie Herring called the defense in Phillips' absence. 

Gordon said he didn't see Phillips, running straight into the defensive coordinator. He told reporters after the game he was "sorry." Phillips tumbled backward, his head violently striking the turf. Phillips disputed a specific description of the incident.

"They say it was a collision on the sideline, but actually I got run over," Phillips said. 

The Broncos players didn't find out Phillips was fine until after the game. They were comforted by his exit as he waved the No. 1 finger at them as he left. But it was an unnerving incident for a Broncos team that has had two coaches -- Kubiak and Phillips -- leave Sports Authority Field by ambulance in three weeks.

"When Wade went down, it was like ‘Man, what’s going on?’ I was going to make sure he was OK and all signs were saying that he’s good an he’ll be fine," Roby said. "Reggie stood up and was like ‘I got this, I got you. Wade and I [run] this defense together and I’m more than capable.’ We just rallied around him.”


Want Broncos news? Denver7 Broncos insider Troy E. Renck is your source. He talks to the players, covers the games and reports scoops on Denver7 and the Denver7 app. He is a CU grad who has covered pro sports in Colorado since 1996, including 14 years at The Denver Post. Follow him on Facebook, Twitter and’s Broncos page. Troy welcomes most of your emails at

Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.