Broncos Gary Kubiak diagnosed with 'complex migraine,' expected to be released from hospital soon

Posted at 7:02 PM, Oct 09, 2016
and last updated 2016-10-10 12:44:13-04

DENVER -- After a battery of tests, Broncos coach Gary Kubiak was diagnosed with a complex migraine condition that caused extreme fatigue and body weakness. Kubiak remained hospitalized overnight but is expected to be released Monday afternoon. 

An MRI and CT scan of Kubiak came back normal, according to the team, and was prescribed medication. The Broncos say Kubiak is “feeling much better.”

General manager John Elway is scheduled to meet with the press at 2 p.m. to discuss Kubiak's situation and whether Kubiak will travel Thursday to San Diego. It is uncertain if Kubiak will be permitted to coach.

If Kubiak requires a break, either defensive coordinator Wade Phillips or offensive coordinator Rick Dennison could step in.

Kubiak's test results provided a sense of calm after a nervous scene unfolded Sunday night at Sports Authority Field.

Thirty minutes after his postgame press conference following the Broncos' 23-16 loss to Atlanta, Kubiak was transported by ambulance to a local hospital. The media was removed from the locker room quicker than normal, and required to leave via a different exit. In the tunnel outside the locker room, a path was cleared for Kubiak to leave in the emergency vehicle. At 6:35 p.m, the team tweeted that Kubiak had been taken taken, as a precaution, to the hospital Sunday with what the team described as flu-like symptoms.

Kubiak showed no obvious signs of illness while meeting with the press after the game. However, during the fourth quarter, quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp held the playcard in front of his face and appeared to be calling all the plays for several minutes. This task is typically reserved for Kubiak. As the game wore on, Kubiak stood on the sideline next to Knapp, and he jogged to the center of the field for the postgame handshake with Atlanta coach Dan Quinn. 

Kubiak's health takes on a different level of concern because he suffered a mini-stroke on Nov. 3, 2013 during a nationally-televised Houston Texans game. He was Houston's head coach at the time when, leaving the field at halftime, he collapsed to his knees and was taken off by stretcher. He was later diagnosed with TIA -- transient ischemic attack.

Kubiak received a clot-busting drug and began his recovery, which meant missing practice time and a game. When he returned, Kubiak coached from the booth for multiple weeks before going back down to the sidelines. Kubiak made strict changes to his diet and tweaked his coaching style to delegate more authority when he accepted the Broncos job last season. He guided the Broncos to their third Super Bowl title, and owns a 19-5 record in Denver. However, Kubiak logs legendary hours in preparation for opponents, so look for him to be closely monitored in the coming days and weeks. Kubiak turned 55 in August, and has been in the NFL 32 seasons as a player, assistant and head coach.


Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.