HARPUSVILLE, NY – It’s been over a week now and some people are beginning to wonder if the world’s most famous giraffe is ever going to deliver that baby.
— Katie Ryan (@KatieRyan991) March 5, 2017
Don't raise that tail unless you mean it ? #AprilTheGiraffe
— Angel (@DaggerOfLex) March 5, 2017
— Optimus Tyne (@hey_valentyne) March 5, 2017
— de la soulless (@dlasantos) March 5, 2017
— Janie Marie (@football_belle) March 4, 2017
On Sunday morning, Animal Adventure Park zoo keepers provided their daily #GiraffeWatch update writing, “April continues to be a very much pregnant giraffe!”
“She was reported as being a little "spooky" last evening, which was likely due to the many intense baby kicks observed by keepers. Wax caps are still present though, back left teat appears to be shedding. Appetite remains strong.”
April, a 15-year-old giraffe, will be giving birth to her fourth calf at Animal Adventure Park in Harpusville, NY.
Her calf will weigh around 150 pounds and be about 6-feet tall at birth, according to Animal Adventure Park officials.
Zoo officials also stressed the importance of keeping an eye out for fake YouTube accounts asking for donations on behalf of the zoo. They said last week some people had also created GoFundMe accounts “requesting your support and also baby names.”
Watch our continuous live stream below:
Things to know about April the giraffe:
- April has never lost a calf nor had a stillborn -- that's an odd rumor, according to zoo officials
- Oliver, April's mate, is 5-years-old and this is his first calf
- Movement in the hips, straightening of the neck and her stomach movement are all signs April is having contractions
- The front hooves will come out first followed by the snout
- Once the calf is born, Animal Adventure Park will hold a social media contest to name it
- Oliver may share space with April, but for short periods. Bulls take no part in rearing young
- This is Animal Adventure's first giraffe calf