Suspect Arrested In Sheepskin Factory Arson

Walter Bond Arrested In Downtown Denver

Glendale police have confirmed an arson arrest in connection with an April 30 fire that gutted the Sheepskin Factory in Glendale.

According to Glendale police, Walter Edmund Bond, 33, was arrested Thursday night in downtown Denver by agents of the FBI and Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Bond has tattoos down the right side of his face and a large tattoo that says, "Vegan" across the front of his neck.

A post on an animal liberation website reviewed by federal investigators said, "The arson at the Sheepskin Factory in Denver was done in defense and retaliation for all the innocent animals that have died cruelly at the hands of human oppressors. Be warned that making a living from the use and abuse of animals will not be tolerated. Also be warned that leather is every bit as evil as fur, as demonstrated in my recent arson against the Leather Factory in Salt Lake City."

The post was quoted as part of a criminal complaint filed in federal court in Denver.

The Leather Factory in Salt Lake City received $20,000 in damage from a fire last June.

According to the complaint, Bond also admitted burning a restaurant in Sandy, Utah in July. He allegedly told a federal informant the restaurant served foie gras -- a dish made of duck livers.

According to the federal complaint, Bond said he planned to torch the Sheepskin Factory again because it moved to a new location down the street from its original location.

The owner of the Sheepskin Factory, Louie Livaditi, told 7NEWS on Friday, "This guy destroyed a family, not a business."

Livaditi wants the person responsible to pay for the $500,000 in damages caused by the fire.

Bond is homeless and is originally from Iowa, Glendale police said Friday.

"Terrorism in the name of animal rights is every bit as dangerous and destructive as the other threats facing our country today," Denver FBI Special Agent in Charge James Davis said in a statement. "The actions of Mr. Bond resulted in significant property damage and worse, could have resulted in the loss of life."

Bond appeared in court Friday without an attorney. U.S. Magistrate Judge Michael Watanabe advised Bond of the charge and appointed the federal public defender's office to represent him. An attorney had not yet entered an appearance in court.

Bond's detention and preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 28.