A teenager died Friday after being shocked by an electric current in the water near his family's boat at Ohio's Put-In-Bay.
According to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, 19-year-old Evan Currie's family docked their boat — a 33-foot Sea Ray Sundancer — at Miller Marina around 6: 30 p.m. local time and plugged the shore power into the boat.
A short time later, their dog fell into the water and began to struggle. Currie's father, Jeffrey Currie, jumped into the water and began to struggle as well.
Jeffrey Currie's two sons then jumped in to help.
Evan Currie's mother was still on board as bystanders instructed her to unplug the shore power. When she unplugged it, the electrical current in the water stopped. Everyone got back on board but Evan Currie was unresponsive and convulsing.
According to an ODNR spokesperson, Evan Currie died at the scene.
ODNR had an independent electrician investigate the dock Friday but found no problems with the dock. An inspection of the boat was expected Saturday.
The ODNR Division of Parks & Watercraft is leading the investigation and has possession of the boat and associated equipment to assist.
A 15-year-old girl died under similar circumstances last year in Alabama. Authorities said she died from electric shock drowning.
Electric shock drowning happens when an AC current spreads through the water, causing skeletal muscular paralysis that makes the victim unable to swim.