No injuries after roof collapses at Village Hotel in Breckenridge

Posted at 10:22 PM, Jan 11, 2017
and last updated 2017-01-12 21:55:02-05

BRECKENRDIGE, Colo. – No injuries were reported after the roof of a hotel in Breckenridge collapsed Wednesday evening.

The collapse was in the Ten Mile Room of the Village Hotel at the Breckenridge Resort, according to Red, White and Blue Fire Protection Deputy Chief Jay Nelson.

“The weight of the snow caused the building to collapse,” Nelson told Denver7. “We had a small gas leak from that collapse that has been isolated.”

A spokesperson for the town of Breckenridge said in a news release the collapse is suspected to have been caused because of a heavy snow load after nearly 50 inches of snow over the past week.

The spokesperson, Kim Dykstra, said around 70 rooms in nearby buildings were evacuated as a precautionary measure and that guests were relocated.

“[We’re] concerned that the scene is (remains) safe and that nobody is going to get hurt or affected by another partial collapse if the rest of the building decides to collapse,” said Nelson.

Breckenridge says Park avenue between Four O'Clock Road to South Main Street is closed until further notice.

The danger isn't just stress on the roof. 

The heavy snow can block ventilation systems -- putting you at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning. The snow can also put pressure on gas and other utility lines.

In the Colorado high country - you'll see a lot of A-framed roofs, so the snow is less likely to gather. You'll also find stricter building codes compared to the city, so homes and businesses can better stand the weight.


In addition, an official tells Denver7, area schools were inspected because of the heavy snow fall.


Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.