Mother Arrested After Baby Found Dead In Bathtub

9-Month-Old Boy Was In Care Of Mother, Neighbors Say

Denver police have arrested the mother of a 9-month old boy found dead in a bathtub.

The Denver Coroner's Office identified the victim Wednesday as Aldrich Leathers.

Police said the mother, Muriel Keer, 39, has been arrested on suspicion of child abuse resulting in death.

Aldrich was found unresponsive in a bathtub at 2725 E. 33rd Ave., on Tuesday night. He was rushed to Presbyterian Saint Luke's Hospital where he was pronounced dead around 10:47 p.m.

The coroner's office is conducting an autopsy to identify the manner and cause of death.

According to neighbors, the mother lives alone with the baby boy in the home, and was screaming "Not my baby!" after he was taken away Tuesday night.

"When they came out, the baby came out stiff as a board," neighbor Edwin Monroe said.

The boy's home has a plastic kiddie pool in the front lawn and a high chair and stroller on the front porch.

Neighbors said they are in shock.

"I still can't believe it because why did he drown? Who was watching him? That doesn't make sense. As soon as I heard he drowned I said, 'Why?'" said neighbor Pat Scott.

While pregnant with the baby, Keer was struggling with drug abuse along with an arrest and conviction for using opiates, according to court records.

Keer was arrested in March 2010 in Denver on felony drug possession and drug distribution charges, court records show.

She pleaded guilty on Oct. 1, 2010, to one count of felony drug possession and prosecution and defense attorneys agreed she would be given a suspended four-year prison sentence on the condition that she successfully complete three years of intensive supervised probation, court records said.

But in November 2010, court records show Keer failed a drug test, violating her probation, court records said. On Nov. 19, Keer's $5,000 bond was revoked and she was hit with a $ 1 million bond.

On Nov. 27, 2010, Keer gave birth to the baby boy, records show.

The next month, Keer was given a suspended four-year prison sentence with four years of intensive supervised probation.

Court records show social services officials became involved after the pregnant woman failed the drug test and violated probation.

But, somehow, Keer maintained custody of the baby.

"June, July, I saw probation people would come over here every week and monitor her and visit with her," said Monroe.

He said he knew she had a past that included drugs.

"I thought the lady cleaned herself up," Monroe said.

Print this article Back to Top