News

Actions

Toddler dies after falling from 6th-floor window at Denver apartment complex

Mom and others were in the apartment when he fell
Posted: 4:23 PM, Jun 16, 2016
Updated: 2016-06-17 04:48:22Z

A toddler died after falling from a sixth-floor window at an apartment complex near South Colorado Boulevard and East Mississippi Avenue. The apartment manager confirmed the boy fell out of the window and police say he was pronounced dead on scene.

It happened Thursday afternoon around 2:40 p.m. at the Mint Urban Infinity complex at 1251 South Bellaire Street.

A resident told Denver7 he could see emergency crews working on a little boy from inside his apartment.

The mother and the mother's roommate were in the unit with several others, including other children, Denver7 Reporter Liz Gelardi reported. A passerby called 911, Gelardi said.

The Denver Police Department tweeted that they are "conducting a death investigation of a toddler" in the area. Investigators are working to determine if it was an accident or case of neglect.

"My condolences go out to the family and friends that are out there, this is a very tragic event," said Commander Ronald Saunier.

Denver7's Liz Gelardi spoke with a tipster who said they put in an anonymous complaint to police last week to report possible child abuse. Police have not confirmed if they received any reports of complaints or responded to the home.

The apartment complex management released the following statement:

"We are deeply saddened to learn of the tragedy that occurred at Mint Urban Infinity on June 16th.  Our thoughts and prayers are with the family."

A woman who stated that she lives in the same building commented on our Facebook page that she was concerned about her pets falling through a window.

"We live on the 4th floor, and while I don't have human kids, I have animal kids. I was worried about my cats climbing on the screen and falling out so I had my dad bolt a child gate up there," Leah Noli wrote.

Another woman responded that she had also installed a barrier across a window.

"One of the kids accidentally kicked one of the windows once and their foot went through it. That scared me to death that day so we added a little barrier," Michelle Barnes posted.

---------

Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook , Instagram and Twitter .