NewsLocal News

Actions

Pregnant woman blames Colorado Sprouts store for her illness

Posted at 7:29 PM, Nov 17, 2017
and last updated 2017-11-17 22:40:54-05

LONGMONT, Colo. -- A pregnant woman ended up in the emergency room after she says she received food poisoning from eating tuna she bought at a Longmont Sprouts.

Chloe Bradley said both Sprouts and the vendor that supplied the tuna aren’t doing anything about it. Now, she’s demanding someone be held accountable. 
 
On Halloween night, Bradley went to the Sprouts on Hover street in Longmont and bought some tuna from the deli for her family. 

“It’s what we had about an hour before I went to the ER,” she said.

Doctors at emergency room diagnosed her with scombroid toxin poisoning, which is a type of food poisoning caused by eating rotten fish.

“I was a fire truck for Halloween, my face was totally red,” Bradley said. “I started getting the shakes at the E.R.”

Bradley said her husband and 17-month-old daughter got sick, too. But what she was concerned with most – her pregnancy.

“There’s not a lot of information for this type of seafood poisoning or the cause it has on the fetus,” she said.
 
The grocery chain tried to give her a $50 gift card and told her that the fish would be removed and returned for testing to Harvest Meat, the vendor that supplied the tuna.

However, she said when she contacted Harvest Meats Wednesday it was the first time the company heard of the incident, and a representative said it had not received any fish back from the store. 

Sprouts told Denver7 it is investigating what went wrong. A company representative said it has not received any other complaints similar to Bradley’s and could not confirm if the fish has been removed from the deli case.

Bradley wants the company to pay for her medical expenses, which has reached over $2,000. But more importantly, she hopes want happened to her doesn’t happen to anyone else.