EDITOR’S NOTE: I am a huge fan of ABC’s "The Bachelor" and all of its spin-off shows. I not only watch the shows, I’ve done "Bachelor" fantasy leagues and listen to three different "Bachelor"-related podcasts on a weekly basis. So, not only do I consider myself a "Bachelor" fanatic, but somewhat of an expert on the topic… if there is such a thing.
Season 23 of "The Bachelor" starts tonight, and I am thrilled. I, like a lot of you, didn’t put Colton Underwood in my top three for "The Bachelor" (I was still holding out hope that Ben Higgins would get another shot at love), but I am embracing a new season. Let’s be honest, the women drive the excitement and drama of this show.
So, after scanning multiple sources, I found some of the things to watch for on tonight’s episode and the rest of the season. (No spoilers, I promise)
1. The V Card. We’ve all seen the silly card game gag of a contestant poking fun at Colton Underwood’s sexual experience. (Personally, it is no one’s business). I’d go out on a limb now and just suggest everyone with a glass of wine in hand for tonight’s premiere start a drinking game for whenever his virginity becomes a topic of discussion.
And as a part B to the V Card topic: Apparently, there is a contestant who still hasn’t shared a first kiss. Could Colton be it?
2. What a Catch. I have to assume ABC will be talking all about Colton’s NFL career. What did that career amount to? While he never played a regular NFL game, Colton was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2014 and played as a linebacker on the practice squads for the San Diego Chargers, the Philadelphia Eagles and the Oakland Raiders until 2016. That’s more than most of us can say.
3. He’s a Good Guy. In 2015, Colton started a charity called The Legacy Foundation . It empowers young patients with cystic fibrosis. The foundation has given nearly $100,000 in cash and equipment donations since its founding in 2015. He also holds Legacy Football Camps for 400 patients each year.
4. Fake It ‘til You Make It. Night one is all about the ridiculous first impressions. That includes one contestant, Bri, who showed off her Australian accent (totally fake) to get Colton’s attention. We checked her bio… she’s a model in Los Angeles.
5. Old Tweets, New Drama. When will they learn? It seems like every season we have at least one contestant who has to apologize for questionable social media comments from his or her past. This round, it is Tracy from Los Angeles. Reddit users apparently uncovered tweets that included fat-shaming, the r-word and even racist comments.
6. Colorado in the Spotlight. Colton is from the metro, so it makes sense that his intro video features Denver locals. According to Reality Steve (I promised no spoilers), his intro included stops at Carboy Winery in Littleton, Angelo’s Taverna in the Alamo Placita neighborhood and Clean Juice in Cherry Creek.
NOTE: If you don’t like spoilers, don’t look at other Reality Steve tweets.
7. Engaged & Expecting? This was a fun one for Bachelor fans over the summer. Colton started teasing excursions in Colorado with his “babe.” To conceal her identity, he used an emoji… a pregnant emoji. Bad choice, much?
He also posted a picture of the two (or three if you’re counting) in Steamboat Springs last month.
I’ll be watching with you tonight, Bachelor Nation. Email me your thoughts. What did you love and hate about night one? You can find me at Kirsten.Boyd@thedenverchannel.com.