DENVER – The district attorney’s office has had the police investigation into a driver who hit a protester on the first night of the Denver George Floyd demonstrations since June 15 for consideration of possible charges, Denver police said Tuesday, though no prosecutorial announcement has been made.
Denver Police Department spokesperson Doug Schepman confirmed Tuesday that the police department handed over its investigative findings in the case to the office of Denver District Attorney Beth McCann on June 15.
“Because it remains an open case, we are not able to provide any additional information,” Schepman said.
The incident happened on the evening of May 28 as protesters grew in number in front of the state Capitol in Denver. Video captured by a bystander showed a car on Lincoln Street, where protesters had blocked off the street at Colfax Ave., turning around in the road, hitting the protester and then fleeing the scene.
Police said at the time they were hoping the person who was hit by the car would reach out to them to try to identify the driver of the black SUV, which appeared to be an earlier-model Ford Edge.
The next day, Denver police said they believe they had “pretty solid evidence” in their investigation. DPD Chief Paul Pazen confirmed an investigation was underway that day.
By June 1, police said they had not made any arrests. But police and prosecutors had been mum on the case since then and until Tuesday’s confirmation from the department that the investigation was complete.
But more than three weeks after the case was handed over to McCann’s office to see if it would prosecute, the DA’s Office has not commented on the case or announced a charging decision.
An email to a spokesperson at the Denver District Attorney’s Office did not immediately respond to a request for information about the case on Tuesday afternoon.