NewsLocal News


One suspect injured in police shooting in Longmont

Longmont OIS_July 10 2020.jpg
Posted at 5:46 AM, Jul 10, 2020
and last updated 2020-07-10 14:12:29-04

LONGMONT, Colo. — One suspect was injured following a police shooting in Longmont around 1 a.m. Friday.

At 1:11 a.m., Longmont Emergency Communications Center received a call from a man who said his female friend who lived in at an apartment at 600 Martin St. needed help. The caller said a 26-year-old Black man, who the woman knew, was outside her apartment and harassing her, according to police. He was refusing to leave, the caller told police, and had a gun on him.

When police arrived at the scene, they found the armed man outside the apartment. As they approached them, they asked him if he was carrying a weapon and to keep his hands up. He initially complied with the orders and said he was not armed, according to police.

According to a press release from the police department, the officers stepped toward the man and he stepped back and drew the pistol from his waistband. Later, investigators would determine it was a BB gun that looked identical to a handgun.

"Officers yelled multiple commands to drop the weapon, and one officer fired at the suspect with his handgun," police said in the press release. "The suspect then dropped between two cars, and the officers lost sight of the suspect. An officer with a view of the suspect told others that he was still holding the pistol. Officers continued to ask the suspect to drop the weapon, show his hands, and he did not comply. The officer with a view of the suspect fired with a rifle."

The suspect was transported to UC Health Longs Peak Hospital and was then transferred by helicopter to Medical Center of the Rockies. He is in critical condition. He has not been identified.

At the time of the shooting, he had an Illinois driver's license in his possession.

In addition to the shooting, police are also investigating the suspect's alleged offenses against the woman inside the apartment, according to police.

The two officers who opened fire have been placed on paid administrative leave.

No officers were injured.

This case remains under investigation.