News

Actions

Names in deadly DIA road-rage incident released

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-KMGH.png
Posted at 1:31 PM, Sep 09, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-09 15:32:12-04

DENVER -The names of the two people killed in a suspected road-rage related crash on Pena Boulevard were officially released Friday.

Denver7 previously reported the identity of the good Samaritan, 70-year-old Rod Johnson. The Denver medical examiner identified the suspected instigator in the incident as  50-year-old Juan Perez.

The situation started around 5:20 a.m. on 56th Avenue, at Pena Boulevard.

Denver7 reporter Daryl Orr said there was some sort of incident, and Perez got out of his vehicle, approached another vehicle and began hitting the window of that vehicle.

Police say Perez, who was driving a KIA, was then hit by the driver of a Prius as the Prius driver was trying to get away.

Johnson saw the incident, stopped, got out of his vehicle and ran to help. While doing so, Johnson and Perez were both struck and killed by another vehicle that was traveling eastbound on 56th Ave.

The Denver DA decided late Thursday not to file charges because the driver of the car that struck and killed Johnson and Perez stopped to help. And the other man involved in the initial road rage incident, the driver of the Prius, was the victim.

Colorado State Patrol tracks road rage complaints and said it has seen a big increase. So far this year, it has logged more than 37,000 complaints, which is a 14 percent increase compared to last year. 

Drivers can report bad or aggressive drivers by using their phones to call *CSP. 

---------

Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.