JOHNSTOWN, Colo. – The Peterson family says they are lucky to be alive after a massive and mysterious explosion blew out walls of their home early Thursday morning.
Allen Peterson, his wife and four kids were sleeping inside when they say one of the children woke up to a fireball in their basement, followed by an explosion that the family describes as a “flash fire.”
In an instant, much of their house had been destroyed. The children worried the entire family wouldn’t be able to make it out alive before the house collapsed.
“You never thought it would happen to you,” Peterson said.
“I was scared it was going to come down on my family. If it came down, it would have killed me and my brothers,” said 11-year-old Shelby, whose eyebrows and lashes were singed off by the blast.
Loveland Fire is still investigating what caused the fire, but says it has ruled out any ties to an oil and gas explosion. They suspect it may have been caused by a faulty propane line, as the family runs their water heater and furnace off propane.
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Explosive and Firearms is also investigating, trying to figure out what happened.
As for the family, they’re staying in a hotel for the moment and figuring out what happens next.
“Pick up the pieces and start over,” Peterson said. “We get a second chance.”