DENVER – A Cherry Creek icon is set to reopen its doors after a kitchen fire shut it down for months.
The Cherry Cricket in Cherry Creek North is scheduled to reopen April 11. The restaurant closed in November of last year following a small fire in the restaurant’s kitchen.
The popular restaurant opened in 1945 and was once owned by Governor John Hickenlooper.
“We can’t wait to get back to what we do best – burgers, beer and of course, frings,” said Lee Driscoll, co-owner of The Cherry Cricket.
As an appreciation to firefighters, the restaurant will donate money from the sell of one its burgers in April to the fire houses that responded to the November fire.
To celebrate the reopening, The Cherry Cricket will be hosting special events April 11-16.
- Tuesday, April 11 - To kick off the festivities, The Cricket will host a ribbon cutting at 11 a.m. to officially reopen the restaurant. They will be serving complimentary cake and champagne (i.e. cheap sparkling wine) throughout the day and night to celebrate being back in the game.
- Wednesday, April 12 - Bring in the family, hang with firefighters and help support Metro Caring! Anyone who brings in three or more cans of food will receive a free basket of fries. Additionally, the firefighters who helped The Cricket will be there from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., giving fire truck tours, taking photos and mingling with guests of all ages.
- Thursday, April 13 - To honor the three brave fish who lost their lives in the fire, The Cricket is holding a funeral at 5 p.m. Bagpipes and dancers will lead the procession and music will carry on into the evening. Make sure to order the fish and chips!
- Friday, April 14 - The infamous Broncos tailgating bus will be parked out front for guests to take tours and get a glimpse of the “Best Tailgate” trophy. A handful of best pictures from the day using #cherrycricketisopen tag will win an assortment of Broncos’ swag.
- Sunday, April 16 - The Cricket will be handing out Easter candy and anyone lucky enough to find a golden egg will get Easter lunch on the house!