NewsLocal News


Fire that killed woman, adult son in Arvada last week started by cigarettes in bed, officials say

Posted: 2:12 PM, Aug 02, 2018
Updated: 2018-08-02 20:12:16Z

ARVADA, Colo. – Fire officials said Thursday that the fire that killed an older woman and her adult son last week was started by cigarettes that caught a bed on fire.

The fire that happened just before 3 a.m. on July 27 at a home in the 10100 block of W. 64th Ave., near Lee Street, left Lorraine Cowan, 95, and her son, Stephen Ringenberg, 68, dead.

The two were rescued from the home by firefighters and died after being rescued.

Arvada Fire Protection District officials said Thursday that the fire started in the basement of the home and was accidentally caused “due to improper disposal of cigarettes in bed.”