DENVER — Authorities are continuing to investigate a threat that was made to the Denver City and County Building and the people inside early Wednesday morning.
At 7:30 a.m., the Denver Security Office received a call from Denver 911 about a person who had made threats against the building and the life and safety of city employees and citizens, said Deputy Mayor and Director of General Services Murphy Robinson.
Robinson said he directed the building to go on lockdown until the threat was mitigated. Deciding to do so before employees arrived for work helped authorities move through the building quickly, he said.
The Denver Police Department, Denver Sheriff’s Department, Denver Marshals Office and Denver Security Office worked to clear the building. Around 9:15 a.m., after two sweeps, the building was deemed safe.
“We take these threats very seriously,” said Mayor Michael B. Hancock. “That’s why we did the lockdown — to keep our city employees and our residents coming in and out of city hall safe.”
Despite rumors about the threats targeting Hancock, Denver Police Chief Barb Archer said all they know so far is that the threat was directed toward the building as a whole, and not a single person. She said she wasn’t sure if the threat indicated an explosion, shooting or something else.
“We will not rest until we find out who made these threats against the city and county of Denver,” Hancock said. “And bring them to justice.”
Denver police said they did not have anybody in custody as of 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.
Business is continuing at the building as usual, Robinson said. They have increased security around the building.
Hancock said these types of threats are increasing around the country, but Denver has taken active steps to protect the people who go in and out of the Denver City and County Building.