LITTLETON, Colo. – More than 100 seniors are still displaced from their apartments at the Windermere senior community nearly a week and a half after a fire broke out, injuring 13 people and killing one man.
Building management said Tuesday that no residents of the building’s east tower are being allowed back into their apartments for the time being and that there was no future timeline for them to be able to return home.
Residents have been waiting for results of air quality tests since last week. Management said Tuesday the tests showed the air was negative for asbestos – a main concern after the fire tore through the older building.
A public relations firm hired by building management said Tuesday that the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment was requiring additional testing before any residents are allowed to return.
But management said it will be allowing some residents to retrieve a small number of items from their apartments in coming days – they just won’t be able to do it themselves.
People who live on the third, fourth or fifth floors will be allowed to make a list of items they need immediately, which property managers can then go retrieve.
However, those living in the basement or on the first or second floors won’t be able to do so as those floors are still off-limits, management said. There is expected to be another meeting for residents next Monday afternoon.
Denver7 also learned Tuesday that there were no fire sprinklers inside the building.
Michael Craig Mitchell, 70, died in the fire and at least 13 others were injured.