Deputies: Standoff with heavily-armed, suicidal vet ends after one shot fired, no one hurt

LA PLATA COUNTY, Colo. - The La Plata County Sheriff's Office has released its report into a standoff with a heavily-armed, Army veteran who authorities said threatened to kill himself and local deputies.

The Sheriff's Office said the 29-year-old Army veteran called at 12:51 a.m. on Friday, July 11.

"[The veteran] made other 911 calls in which he said he was heavily armed and would shoot responding officers and himself," the Sheriff's Office said in a news release. "[The veteran] was armed with an AR-15 rifle, a shotgun and a large quantity of ammunition."

Deputies said as they arrived, the man released his girlfriend and left the condo.

During the next 45 minutes, deputies said the man moved back and forth between his condo and a nearby wooded area in the subdivision.

At about 1:58 a.m., deputies said the veteran moved out of the darkness from behind a building and confronted Deputy Zachary Farnam. 

"Deputy Farman repeatedly ordered [the veteran] to drop his weapons," deputies said. "Instead, deputies said the man raised his shotgun and aimed at Farnam who fired one shot from his rifle and dove for cover. "

The bullet missed the veteran and went into a nearby condo.

The owner of that condo, came outside and yelled at deputies.

"Deputies repeatedly ordered [that homeowner] to go back inside and he eventually did so," deputies said.

During that argument, the veteran moved around the building and disappeared into woods.

Deputies said they spent the next 40 minutes negotiating on the phone with the veteran.

Finally, at 2:38 a.m., the veteran came out the front door of his condo, still carrying the shotgun and rifle, deputies said.

"He followed the Deputies’ orders, laid down his weapons and surrendered," deputies said.

The veteran was arrested and charged with assault, menacing, harassment and false imprisonment.

Deputies said when the standoff was over, they contacted the resident who was almost shot.

He said he and his daughters were safe.

Deputies determined the bullet fired into the man's condo had passed through his bedroom closet and into his kitchen.

Print this article Back to Top