Denver hit-and-run suspect Dennis Phillip Esquibel's bond set at $100K

Laura McDermott killed crossing Denver street

DENVER - Bond was set Friday at $100,000 for the man arrested in a deadly hit-and-run last weekend.

Dennis Phillip Esquibel was arrested on suspicion of failing to report an accident that caused death.

Laura McDermott was crossing Broadway at Cedar Avenue on Sunday morning when she was hit. The impact knocked McDermott about 180 feet south on Broadway, according to a police diagram of the collision.

McDermott's boyfriend, Nate Iler, told 7NEWS he was a step behind her when the car came roaring down the street.

"I briefly turned back to say something to a friend about a concert," Iler said. "She got a few steps ahead of me. That's when they hit her."

Esquibel's mother told 7NEWS she loaned the keys to her Toyota Corolla to her son's girlfriend.

"This was not my son driving that car," said Margaret Esquibel, stressing that her son's girlfriend was driving.

Esquibel's dad told 7NEWS that his son does not have a driver's license and knows not to drive.

"I told my son, 'Don't ever drive a car. Don't ever drive a car cause it ain't no good to drive unless you got your license,'" said Esquibel's father.

Denver District Attorney Mitch Morrissey told 7NEWS investigators believe Esquibel was driving the car with two female passengers during the deadly hit-and-run.

Morrissey said he's aware that others are saying someone else was driving, but authorities believe Esquibel was behind the wheel.

Criminal History

Esquibel has a serious criminal history, including serving time in state prison.

In August 2007, Esquibel was arrested in Denver on several felonies for drug trafficking, according to court records. He pleaded guilty to one count of felony possession of a control substance and was sentenced to three years in state prison.

Esquibel was arrested again in Denver in November 2007 for aggravated motor vehicle theft. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three years in state prison, according to court records.

In February 2009, he was arrested in Denver for violating the conditions of his parole for the drug conviction. He was returned the custody on Nov. 15, 2009, according to court records.


Print this article Back to Top