Denver Broncos safety T.J. Ward's assault hearing delayed until August 4

DENVER - Denver Broncos safety T.J. Ward appeared in court Tuesday, to face allegations he threw a glass and hit a Denver Denver strip club bartender in May, but his hearing was delayed.

Ward appeared with his attorney Abraham Hutt Tuesday morning. Hutt asked the judge for more time because of evidence he just received. The hearing was delayed until Aug. 4.

The incident reportedly occurred at PT's All Nude Centerfold Show Club on the night of May 10.

A bartender said she noticed Ward had a glass bottle of liquor with him.  She told him that he needed to throw the bottle away or take it to his car because outside food or drinks are not permitted in the club, according to a police Statement of Probable Cause.

About 10 minutes later, the bartender said she saw Ward pouring from the banned bottle into a mug of ice, according to her statement.

The bartender said she grabbed the handle of the mug and Ward tried to hang onto it and some of the liquid sloshed onto her. She finally got the mug away from Ward and dumped it in the sink.

The bartender wrote that as she turned to help another customer, Ward threw the "bottle," striking her in the wrist. She said the bottle also hit glasses on a shelf, breaking one glass.

A police detective wrote in the probable cause statement that a club surveillance video showed the bartender take a glass away from Ward and "he picks up a glass mug that is sitting on the bar and tosses/throws the glass mug at [the bartender]."

The bartender ran to the door for a security staffer, who came with her and found Ward sitting with some women on a couch. Ward told the security staffer "he had been sitting there the whole time," according to the bartender's statement.

The security staffer asked Ward,  Broncos defensive tackle Terrance Knighton and the third man to leave the club and they did.

Ward later turned himself into Denver police on an arrest warrant for misdemeanor assault and disturbing the peace. He went to court, was issued a summons and the warrant for his arrest was dismissed, according to Denver police.

Ward, who previously played for the Cleveland Browns, agreed to a $23 million ($14 million guaranteed) deal with the Broncos during the opening hours of this year's free agency period in March. At the time, VP and GM of Football Operations John Elway said he believed Ward would bring "energy and toughness to our secondary."

Print this article Back to Top