News

Actions

Community phones in tips as investigators continue Peak 2 Fire investigation

Officials say 13 illegal fires reported since ban
Posted at 4:48 PM, Jul 12, 2017
and last updated 2017-07-13 02:56:48-04

DILLON, Colo. — Investigators say they have received several tips about two hikers seen near the start of the Peak 2 Fire that threatened Breckenridge.

Just a day after the investigation became public, police are still tightlipped about any information they've received, but say the community has been helpful. Officials believe the fire was human-caused but won't go into specifics about a cause or any evidence.

Community members have pointed to dangerous unattended fires left in the area. A spokesperson with Lake Dillon Fire Rescue says they've received reports of 13 illegal fires since a fire ban went into place. 

A fire ban was put into effect not long after the Peak 2 Fire, which broke out on July 5, due to the dry surroundings of Summit County.

“We enact a fire ban when conditions are such that we’re really worried about the possibility of a forest fire," said Steve Lipsher, Lake Dillon Fire Rescue's Public Information Officer.

That ban remains in place for Summit County even as rain continues to move in.

One resident living near Breckenridge shared a picture of an unatteneded campfire with Denver7. He called 911 to report the fire that was left burning near several tents.

The investigation into the Peak 2 Fire continues to develop as the community met one week after the fire to receive a final update from officials. Residents signed banners thanking fire responders at the meeting.

According to Acting District Ranger Kevin Warner with the U.S. Forest Service, the fire is only 85 percent contained. The remaining 15 percent is backed up against steep rugged terrain and is inaccesible to firefighters.

They cautioned the fire could still smoulder for weeks or months but fire officials said even though the fire is not out there is a low threat to the surrounding area.

Anybody who has information that will help identify the two people who were seen near the fire is asked to call police at (970) 262-3486.