News

Actions

Colorado Springs student's phone explodes in pocket

Posted: 7:46 AM, Aug 31, 2016
Updated: 2016-08-31 13:46:48Z
Colorado Springs student's phone explodes in pocket

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- It may be every smartphone user's worst nightmare, but for one Colorado Springs student, it was reality. Joshua Ulku's phone exploded in his pocket. 

Ulku's Samsung Galaxy S6 no longer looks much like a smartphone, but a charred brick. The Ulku family is grateful Joshua escaped with just first-degree burns, they told KRDO in Colorado Springs. 

While taking a test on Aug. 25, Ulku said he felt his pocket become exceedingly warm, prompting him to stand up. After he stood up, he said smoke started streaming from his pocket. 

Ulku reached into his pocket as smoke continued to fill the area, but recoiled as he burned his hand. 

Other students sprang into action, helping Ulku remove the phone with a balled up shirt. What was left was charred plastic, but not much of a device. 

The Ulku family has since reached out to Samsung, after learning explosions have happened to several other Galaxy S6 users have had their phones explode, too.

Samsung admitted they have received other complaints and have offered to pay for the family's medical bills and the phone.

"The reported incident is extremely rare," Samsung said in a statement to KRDO. "We are very sorry to hear about Joshua's experience, and we are reaching out to his family to understand what happened to provide support." 

Ulku said he wants anybody with a Galaxy S6 to know the phones have a chance of exploding. Galaxy said anybody else who experiences a similar issue should call the company at 1-800-Samsung. 

---------

Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook , Instagram and Twitter .