Charges dropped against sister-in-law in murder of Heather DeWild

JEFFERSON COUNTY, Colo. - She said her husband proposed to prevent her testifying in a murder case. Now, charges against Mary Roseanne DeWild are being dropped.

DeWild, her husband, David DeWild, and her husband's twin brother, Daniel DeWild, were indicted last year for the murder of Daniel's wife, Heather.

David DeWild, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit second degree murder on Aug. 2.

Daniel DeWild goes on trial next month.

Roseanne said the marriage occurred, "So I couldn't testify against him [David]."

Heather DeWild

Heather DeWild disappeared in July 2003, just days before her divorce from Daniel DeWild was scheduled to be finalized.

Her body was found wrapped in plastic about six weeks later by a Department of Transportation worker moving dirt on Highway 6 between Golden and Black Hawk. The body was badly decomposed, but dental records confirmed that it was Heather. The coroner ruled that Heather's death was a homicide.

According to court documents, Daniel tried to reconcile his marriage by bringing flowers and a card to Heather at her parents' home July 22, 2003. She declined. He left in a fit of anger.

Two days later, Daniel is accused of creating a ruse to get Heather to come to his house, a grand jury report said. She thought she was going to sign a mortgage check and pick up insurance cards for their children. She brought her children, a 3-year-old girl and a 5-year-old boy, because she didn’t want to be alone with Daniel.

When interviewed by police the next day, the boy said he saw his father sneaking up behind his mother's back. The boy also told detectives that he didn't know why his parents were fighting.

Heather wasn't seen alive again.

The grand jury indictment said Heather was murdered between July 24 and Sept. 4, 2003.

The indictment said a witness saw three people with a body wrapped in plastic at 4 a.m. in Clear Creek Canyon.

On July 30, a bloodhound found evidence of decomposition in David's Suburban. The indictment said David was notified of the positive result on July 31 and the next day, David and Roseanne were married.

Roseanne said the marriage occurred, "So I couldn't testify against him [David]."

Additionally, the grand jury’s report states that Heather’s car, a white Nissan Sentra, was abandoned at West 43rd Avenue and Kipling Street in Wheat Ridge.

Around lunch time on July 24, 2003, a witness observed a man sitting in a cherry red convertible with a black top across the street from the greenbelt where the Nissan had been parked.

The report states that David DeWild was driving a red Chrysler LeBaron convertible that day. It also states that cell phone records place David in the area where the Nissan was abandoned.

Print this article Back to Top