NewsLocal News


Central City remembers firefighters who died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted at 4:12 PM, Dec 18, 2020
and last updated 2020-12-18 19:55:54-05

GOLDEN, Colo. — Central City firefighters and law enforcement officials mourned the death of Cody and Shelby Allen on Friday.

The married couple were dedicated firefighters with the Central City Fire Department.

"I cannot count the number of times I have picked up my phone to text her, only to remember there is an empty line now," said Gilpin County Deputy Sheriff Amy Collins about her best friend Shelby. "I will no longer have those good morning texts from Shelby or random Snapchats from Cody."

At the funeral service, held at Flatirons Community Church in Golden, community leaders said the couple exuded love and strength.

"Cody and Shelby continued to impact the community in so many ways," Central City Fire Chief Gary Allen said. "Their end came way too soon."

Cody, 29, and Shelby, 27, were married in 2017. Both worked at the Central City Fire Department until their passing. According to the coroner's office the death was ruled accidental from carbon monoxide poisoning on Dec. 11.

"They left behind many memories, people who love them and significant imprints on everyone’s hearts."