NewsLocal News


Central City Fire Department couple found dead in home

The couple died by accidental carbon monoxide poisoning
12-12-20 gilpin firefighters.jpg
Posted at 2:59 PM, Dec 12, 2020
and last updated 2020-12-17 09:40:49-05

CENTRAL CITY, Colo. — A husband and wife, who were both Central City Fire Department firefighters, were found dead in their home Friday.

The Gilpin County Sheriff's Office identified the couple as Lt. Cody Allen, 29, and volunteer firefighter Shelby Allen, 27.

The Gilpin County Coroner’s Office determined Saturday the two died from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. The couple's two dogs died in the home as well.

"You do not have two people more loved in the community," the family told Denver7.

Cody was recently hired full-time to the position of lieutenant with the department after being a volunteer since July 2009. Shelby was a volunteer firefighter since February 2016.

Both Cody and Shelby's families have been members of this community for many years. They grew up in Gilpin County, met, married two years ago and were looking forward to raising their family in Gilpin County, according to the Sheriff's Office.

The case remains under investigation.

A funeral service has been scheduled for Friday at 11 a.m. The service is open to the public. The community can also view the service through a livestream on the Gilpin County Sheriff's Office Facebook page or at the Gilpin County Fairgrounds for a drive-in to view the service on two large video screens.