DENVER – Canyons of the Ancients National Monument will not lose its monument designation.
U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke confirmed Friday that the monument is no longer under review as part of an executive order President Donald Trump signed earlier this year. That order called for a review of national monument designations made under presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton.
Zinke said he’s recommending no changes to Canyon of the Ancients National Monument.
“Canyons of the Ancients is gorgeous land, but its monument status as the most high-density Native American archaeological sites in the Nation is clear,” Zinke said. “The history at this site spans thousands of years, and the federal protection of these objects and history will help us preserve this site for a thousand more years.”
Zinke had previously assured Sen. Cory Gardner in June that the monument was not on his department’s priority review list. Gardner said Friday that he was pleased to see the official announcement.
“This is great news for Colorado and I’m thrilled the Department of the Interior listened to Coloradans and will make no changes to Canyons of the Ancients National Monument’s designation,” Gardner said. “I repeatedly raised the issue with Secretary Zinke and highlighted the fact that Coloradans cherish our state’s public lands and any review of Canyons of the Ancients should result in no changes to the monument’s designation.”
Canyons of the Ancients was designated as a national monument in 2000.