Are you buying a "hoverboard" during the holidays? One of those self-balancing scooters?
With some boards linked to fires, the Greeley Fire Department has advice for buyers:
- Choose a device with the seal of an independent testing laboratory.
- An adult should be responsible for charging the hover board.
- Do not leave a charging hover board unattended.
- Never leave the hover board plugged in overnight.
- Only use the charging cord that came with the hover board.
- Stop using your hover board if it overheats.
- Extreme hot or cold temperature can hurt the battery.
- Read and follow all manufacturer directions.
The Greeley Fire Department said some hoverboard fires have involved the Lithium-Ion battery.
Firefighters said signs of a potential problem are leaking fluids, excessive heat, odor, sparking and smoke.