A Chili's suffered massive damage when a blaze sparked Tuesday.
Blazing fire at local restaurant.
HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. -- A massive fire at a Chili's Restaurant in Highlands Ranch led police to shut down local roads leading into Tuesday evening.
Police said the restaurant at University and County Line Road became fully engulfed just after 3 p.m., leading to chaos on University and heavy smoke on C-470.
Officers shut down University, as drivers could not see in either direction, but still decided to drive through. The road reopened as smoke cleared.
The building, which burned for hours, but had mostly died down before 6 p.m., suffered major damage, including a partial roof collapse.
Drivers across the metro area could see the smoke from miles away.
The cause of the fire isn't yet known, but all 40 patrons and 15 employees were able to escape as soon as smoke became visible.
Fire officials say there was construction ongoing on the roof, however it's also not known if that played a factor.
Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.
Or, keep up-to-date on the latest news and weather with the Denver7 apps for iPhone/iPads, Android and Kindle.
Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.