DOUGLAS COUNTY, Colo. -- A baby who may have exposed dozens to measles has been released from the hospital. The Tri-County Health Department confirmed that staff have notified about 120 people said to be in close contact with the family.
They believe the baby was exposed to measles while traveling internationally. The baby was too young to be vaccinated at the time. Health officials could not say how old the baby was or where it contracted the virus.
Measles symptoms will typically show up within seven to 14 days. A health department spokesperson said now they will wait and watch to make sure no one else has contracted it. Anyone who was exposed is asked to contact the health department if they develop a fever or other symptoms.
Measles is uncommon but very contagious. According to the Tri-County Health Department, only one measles case was reported in the state of Colorado last year.
"People just really need to review their vaccine status to make sure they’re up to date. Especially back to school is a really good time to do that," said Gary Sky, Public Information Officer with Tri-County Health Department.
The Tri-County Health Department will hold vaccination clinics or you can check with your local health care provider.
The baby visited seven different places between July 8 and 15, according to the Tri-County Health Department.
The locations are:
- Kumon Math and Reading Center of Highlands Ranch - East – 9362 S. Colorado Blvd. #D-08, Highlands Ranch, CO 80126 – July 8, 3:30 p.m.-6:40 p.m. and July 11, 3:30 p.m.-6:40 p.m.
- King Soopers – 9551 S. University Blvd, Littleton, CO 80126 – July 11, 4:30 p.m.-7:45 p.m.
- Panda Express – 9563 S. University Blvd., Highlands Ranch, CO 80126– July 11, 5:45 p.m.-8:00 p.m.
- Southeast Denver Pediatrics – 11960 Lioness Way #200, Parker, CO 80134– July 12, 9:50 a.m.-12:15 p.m.; July 13, 9:50 a.m.-12:35 p.m.; and July 14, 11:35 a.m.–1:45 p.m.
- Target – 10001 Commons St., Lone Tree, CO 80124– July 12, 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Sky Ridge Pediatric Emergency Department (Evergreen Building) – 10107 Ridge Gate Pkwy, Lone Tree, CO 80124– July 14, 12:30 p.m.-9:45 p.m.
- Pediatric Unit at Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children at Presbyterian St. Luke’s – 2001 High Street, Denver, CO 80205– July 14, 8:30 p.m. to July 15, 3:30 a.m.
For more information, call Tri-County Health Department at 303-220-9200, the COHELP InfoLine at 303-389-1687 or 1-877-462-2911, or visit the health department's website.