GYPSUM, Colo. -- Authorities have identified human remains discovered at the site of a home explosion in the Town of Gypsum, the Eagle County Sheriff’s Office said Monday.
The victim found following the Sept. 17 explosion was identified as 49-year-old Patricia Roe of Gypsum.
The explosion at the home located at 50 Cottonwood Pass Road is believed to have been caused by an underground gas leak that started early that morning when crews were drilling for fiber optic cable in the Chatfield Corners subdivision, on the south side of town.
Officials said crews drilling in the area around 11 a.m. hit a two-inch, dual feed gas line, causing gas to pull up underneath the ground. At around 12:35 p.m., that gas leak caused the home in Cottonwood Pass Road to explode.
Two hundred homes in the neighborhood along Gypsum Creek Road, Valley Road, Grundel Road and Cottonwood Pass were evacuated as a precaution.
The evacuation order was lifted days later.
Investigators from the Division of Fire Prevention and Control and the ATF are helping local investigators on the case.
Comcast issued this statement Sept. 19, “This was a horrible loss for all of those impacted in this community, and we offer our sincere condolences to the deceased’s family and loved ones. Comcast will provide support to local community organizations, and we will continue working with the town and providing support as needed as this