Arapahoe County apartment fire started outside of complex

Posted at 2:27 PM, Sep 20, 2016
and last updated 2016-09-20 19:35:48-04

ARAPAHOE COUNTY — A spark that started an apartment fire Monday afternoon didn’t come from inside the building, Cunningham Fire Chief Jerry Rhodes said Tuesday.

Chief Rhodes said the exact cause of the three-alarm fire at 7777 East Yale Avenue will be listed as underdetermined, but said the flames began from an ignition source outside the building. Neighbors said they saw a Juniper bush burning just before the building caught fire.

The fire at Hunter’s Run Apartments damaged or destroyed 24 units and displaced several. Ambulances rushed one firefighter and two residents to an area hospital for treatment for minor smoke inhalation. Four deputies were also treated. They were all treated and released.

Displaced residents met Tuesday with apartment management and members from the Salvation Army and Red Cross to discuss housing options.

A total of 75 firefighters responded to the fire.


Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.