DENVER – Employees at a King Soopers food processing facility in Denver returned to work after a hazmat scare early Monday morning.
Fire crews were called to the facility at 65 Yuma Street around 5 a.m. after reports of an ammonia leak. After arriving on scene, crews discovered that ammonia was leaking from a freezer inside the facility.
At least eight workers were inside the freezer at the time of the leak, but no injuries were reported.
Crews were able to contain the leak about an hour after arriving on scene and employees were allowed back in the building.
Ammonia is very toxic and can cause life-threatening accumulation of fluid in the lungs.