ADAMS COUNTY, Colo. -- Eight horses are dead following an overnight barn fire in Adams County, a spokesperson for the Brighton Fire Department says.
"At 2:01 a.m crews were dispatched to a grass fire at Picadilly and 118th Avenue. Upon arrival they found a barn fully engulfed in flames," said Brighton spokeswoman Natalie Ridderbos.
At least eight horses were in the barn when the fire started. None survived. The barn was also declared a total loss, according to Ridderbos.
The cause of the barn fire was determined to be accidental and was due to an overloaded extension cord.