Indictment: Denver Man Lied To Get DIA Security Clearance

FBI Found No Indication That Terrance King Had 'Ulterior Terrorist Motives'

A Denver federal grand jury has indicted a man for lying about his past criminal convictions on an application for a Denver International Airport security badge.

Terrance Lee King, 20, of Denver, was applying for a DIA job that involved delivering food to airplanes, said Jeff Dorschner, spokesman for the United States Attorney's Office for Colorado.

Investigators have found no indication that King had "ulterior terrorist motives," Dorschner said.

The indictment was returned on Aug. 6 against King, who was already serving time in state prison for violating parole on prior convictions for a weapons violation and drug possession, Dorschner said.

According to the indictment, on Feb. 22 King made a false written statement to obtain a job that would include access to secure areas of the airport.

"On the Fingerprinting and Badging Application, Denver International Airport, King checked 'no' affirming 'I have NOT been convicted . . . of ANY of the criminal offenses listed in Section 2 (Disqualifying Criminal Offenses Checklist) within the time period applicable to the Airport ID badge I am applying for with this application,'" Dorschner said.

"The false writing involved the fact that he knew he had been convicted of unlawful possession, use, sale, distribution, or manufacture of an explosive or weapon and a felony involving the illegal possession of a controlled substance," Dorschner said.

"The security of sensitive areas of Denver International Airport is essential to public safety, and merits our particular attention to cases of lying on security applications -- for whatever reason," said U.S. Attorney John Walsh.

The case is being investigated by the FBI.

"Providing false information in an attempt to gain access to secure areas of our airports will not be tolerated," said FBI Denver Special Agent in Charge James Yacone.

If convicted of making a false statement, King faces a maximum sentence of five years in federal prison and a $250,000 fine.

King is due in court on Wednesday for an arraignment and detention hearing.

Print this article Back to Top