NewsFront RangeWestminster

Actions

Discarded cigarette butts to blame for Westminster apartment fire

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-KMGH.png
Posted at 12:29 PM, Jan 07, 2018
and last updated 2018-01-08 00:01:13-05

WESTMISNTER, Colo. – An overnight apartment fire which spread from the balcony to the exterior roof of a home in Westminster was caused by discarded cigarette butts, an official with the Westminster Fire Department said Sunday morning.

The structure fire was reported around 2 a.m. at the Copperwood Apartments at 8200 Sheridan Boulevard.

Crews at the scene found light smoke and fire coming from the eaves of the third story unit, and acted quickly to put the fire out using a pre-connected hose line.

There was no spread of smoke or fire to any of the adjacent units in the building, a fire department spokesman said in a press release.

No residents or firefighters were injured.