News

Actions

Student who died from peanut reaction remembered

Posted at 10:42 PM, Sep 25, 2015
and last updated 2015-09-26 00:42:27-04

The stands at the Chatfield High School homecoming were full of yellow ribbons, bandanas and flowers -- a colorful tribute to 16-year-old Simon Katz, who died from an allergic reaction on Monday after eating a s’more with peanut butter at a school bonfire.

"He was truly the kind of person that always made you laugh," said Simon’s friend Scott Romano. Romano helped organize the display.

"Nobody had to wear yellow. And to see this many people who I never even knew had a connection with him show their support like this was utterly moving," he said.

The color yellow became a powerful presence during tonight's game as it was Simon's favorite color.

A fitting tribute to a classmate known for his talent as a performer and as an advocate for the environment.      

"It's been a long week, a hard week, but we're Chargers and we'll survive it," said parent Rhonda Gunkel.

Get breaking news on your phone, download the free 7NEWS app for iPhone/iPads, Android and Kindle. And follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.