News

Actions

Rec center leak caused by chlorination system

Posted: 10:54 AM, Mar 21, 2016
Updated: 2016-03-21 22:32:31Z

The chemical leak that sent 22 people to the hospital Saturday was caused by a pool's chlorination system, according to the Boulder County Department of Health.

Officials told Denver7 the chemical leak appears to have been caused by an automated chlorine distribution valve.  Lafayette city officials said the recreation center has two industry-standard levels of system redundancy on this equipment, but will be installing a third level.

The pool will reopen Tuesday.

The Boulder County Health Department and an outside consultant performed tests on the pool water. 

"Both agencies have confirmed the pool water is safe and has no abnormal chemical levels," city officials said.

The rest of the rec center was reopened Monday. 

Nearly two dozen people at the Bob L. Burger Recreation Center in Lafayette went to the emergency room Saturday after they started complaining about burning eyes, nausea and coughing.

One dad told Denver7 he felt what he described as a “wall” of burning in his eyes and throat. He immediately pulled his son and other children, who were coughing, out of the water and lead them outside. The father and son were among those treated and released at the hospital.

---------

Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook , Instagram and Twitter .