FORT COLLINS, Colo. — Suspected arsenic exposure sent four people to the hospital in Fort Collins Thursday afternoon.
Poudre Fire crews got the call around 12:45 p.m. and were dispatched to the Centennial Livestock Auction at 113 NW Frontage Road in Fort Collins.
Authorities said a trailer that had been in storage for years was being auctioned off. A crew from Exodus Moving were hired to unload the trailer. At one point, one of the crew members came upon old butcher paper and found several vials with labels marked mercury and arsenic.
The four crew members from the moving company may have been exposed to arsenic after one of them opened the vial labeled arsenic, according to a Poudre Fire spokeswoman.
The four employees were decontaminated on scene and transported to the hospital for further testing.
Poudre Fire crews have not been able to confirm if the substances are actually mercury and arsenic. They will be sent off to a lab for independent testing to confirm what it is.