News

Actions

4 people, several dogs left without a home after fire breaks out in Fort Collins

Posted at 10:36 AM, Nov 26, 2016
and last updated 2016-11-26 20:19:23-05

FORT COLLINS, Colo. – Four young adults and several dogs were left without a home early Saturday after a fire broke out in their midtown Fort Collins home.

The fire started sometime before 2:13 a.m., when a neighbor called 911 to report the blaze at Killdeer Drive and Bobolink Court, just west of South College Avenue.

Poudre Fire Authority firefighters arrived on scene six minutes later to find smoke coming from the split-level, single-family home. The fire soon broke through one of the front windows, according to Poudre Fire spokeswoman Madeline Noblett.

Three people and several dogs were home at the time of the fire but escaped. The fourth person was not at home at the time.

One person was taken to Poudre Valley Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation, Noblett said.

PFA investigators determined the fire was accidental, due to an overloaded circuit and improper wiring.

The fire was put out by 2:28 a.m., just 15 minutes after first responders got the initial call.

“There was ultimately fire damage in the kitchen and front room, and smoke damage throughout,” said Noblett.

A member of Poudre Fire Authority’s Customer Assistance Response Team, better known as CART, responded to the fire to connect the displaced residents with resources, including the Red Cross, a restoration company and Humane Society. The team member also found them a place to stay for the night at Homewood Suites, one of CART’s partner businesses.

CART, which operates out of a retired ambulance, helps those people displaced by fire navigate challenges following a life-changing moment.

---------

Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.