DENVER – The son of Nashville Mayor Megan Barry died in Denver from an apparent overdose Saturday evening, the mayor’s office said in a statement sent to Denver7. He was 22.
“Early this morning, we received news that no parents should ever have to hear. Our son Max suffered from an overdose and passed away,” reads a statement from the Nashville, Tenn., mayor’s office. “We cannot begin to describe the pain and heartbreak that comes with losing our only child. Our son was a kind soul full of life and love for his family and friends.”
Details regarding Max Barry's death were not immediately released.
Early Sunday afternoon, a spokesperson for the Jefferson County Coroner's Office told Denver7 the agency is investigating Barry's death. The cause and manner of death are pending autopsy results, which will not be available for several weeks.
The Tennessean reported Barry had recently moved to Littleton after graduating college.
Heartbroken for my colleague & friend, @MayorMeganBarry for the loss of her son. My thoughts & prayers are with you and your family.
— Michael B. Hancock (@MayorHancock) July 31, 2017
The family is asking for thoughts and prayers as they mourn the death of their son.