Samsung S5 cell phone explodes in Broomfield home

Posted at 10:28 AM, Nov 08, 2016
and last updated 2016-11-09 20:44:16-05

BROOMFIELD, Colo. -- A mother in Broomfield says her Samsung phone exploded in the middle of the night.

"It sounded like a bomb went off, and the smoke alarms went off," the mother told Denver7. "We put it out with water."

The mother told Denver7 the phone was a Samsung S5, not the Galaxy Note 7 that was the subject of a recall last month.

"[The] phone battery is melted onto the carpet and shards of metal and ash are all over," the mother said.

The phone was charging in a 7-year-old's bedroom because he uses the phone to play games on. Fortunately, the child wasn't hurt, because he was sleeping in a different room with his brother.

"If not, he would have been right next to it," the mother told Denver7. "It was so loud."

Denver7 contacted Samsung about the issue.

Samsung sent Denver7 a statement that said, "We are unable to comment on this specific incident until we obtain and thoroughly examine the device. Customer safety remains our highest priority and we want to work with any customer who has experienced an issue with a Samsung product in order to investigate the matter and support them. The issues with the Galaxy Note7 are isolated to only that model."


Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.