Dog missing for 7 weeks found after being hit by a car; TJ recovering from leg amputation

BOULDER - Missing for seven weeks, a dog made the trip from Fort Collins to LaPorte and then Boulder. Unfortunately the pooch was only found after being hit by a car, but is expected to survive the injury.

"TJ," a four-year-old Beagle-mix, was hit by the car on Wednesday near 15th Street and Lee Hill Road in Boulder. Officers found the dog and checked his microchip while transporting him to a clinic for treatment.

The chip indicated TJ belonged to David Snyder of Fort Collins, Boulder Police Department spokeswoman Laurie Ogden said. Snyder told officers his pet had been missing for seven weeks.

"He was ecstatic that his dog had been found," Ogden said.

Late Thursday night, Snyder texted 7NEWS reporter Marshall Zelinger with news of a successful surgery, although TJ had to have his hind leg amputated because of injuries.

"So far so good! TJ just got out of surgery and the amputation was successful. Everything went well and he's currently resting," said Snyder.

For weeks Snyder had received calls of sightings, and Snyder even once spotted his dog in LaPorte, but TJ always managed to escape.

Ogden also said that Boulder Animal Control began getting calls about TJ three weeks ago, but he repeatedly evaded capture.

"Upon speaking with Mr. Snyder he believes TJ had quite the adventure, traveling on foot from Fort Collins to LaPorte then headed south to Boulder," Ogden wrote in a release on the police department website. "Although TJ’s injuries are severe and may require a partial amputation of one of his legs, it is believed he will survive."

Snyder told 7NEWS his pet was currently recovering at Aspen Meadow Vet Specialists in Longmont. He said the surgery was TJ's best chance at survival.

"Assuming all goes well, he will remain at Aspen Meadow for several days and undergo additional operations to try and save his damaged front leg," Snyder wrote in an email.

He said TJ is not "out of the woods yet and will not be able to return home until the middle of next week."

Print this article Back to Top