News

Actions

Peyton teen saved by AED device after he was pinned during wrestling match

CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-KMGH.png
Posted at 6:27 PM, Feb 15, 2017
and last updated 2017-02-15 20:30:57-05

PEYTON, Colo. – A Colorado Springs area teen is alive thanks to the quick thinking skills of a middle school vice principal.

Kaine Greathhouse, 13, of Peyton, was participating at a wrestling competition on March 5, 2015 at Falcon Middle School, when no more than 20 seconds into the match, he was easily pinned – but wasn’t moving.

Our ABC affiliate station in Colorado Springs, KRDO-TV, reports Kaine “was laboring, as though he couldn’t breathe.”

Witnesses started CPR, but the school’s vice principal ran for an AED, which ended up saving his life four minutes later.

“There are two things that allowed Kaine to be alive today: one, as soon as he collapsed, someone started CPR on him, and there was an AED nearby,” said Dr. Martin Runciman, the pediatric cardiologist who treated Kaine at Children’s Colorado, Southern Colorado.

“There are two things that allowed Kaine to be alive today: one, as soon as he collapsed, someone started CPR on him, and there was an AED nearby,” Dr. Martin Runciman, the pediatric cardiologist who treated Kaine at Children’s Colorado, Southern Colorado, told KRDO-TV.

Kaine would eventually be diagnosed with Catecholaminergic polymorphic ventricular tachycardia, or CPVT. The disease is only detectable through a genetic blood block test.

View KRDO’s story below. 

---------

Sign up for Denver7 email alerts to stay informed about breaking news and daily headlines.

Or, keep up-to-date by following Denver7 on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.