Baby Strangled By Crib Parents Bought At Garage Sale

Detectives Determine Crib Had Cracked Piece Of Wood

A baby girl was strangled to death this week by a used crib her parents had bought at a garage sale, a newspaper reported Friday.

Fred Elling woke up early Thursday morning to find his 6-month-old daughter, Jayden, unconscious and not breathing, the Greeley Tribune reported.

The girl's head was wedged in the corner of the bed, where the vertical slats connect to the end crib, detectives said. Greeley investigators determined that there was a small cracked piece of wood, which allowed the baby to slip through, strangling her, the newspaper reported.

Elling called 911 after he discovered what had happened to his daughter, but the baby was dead before paramedics arrived.

Police said the family bought the crib used at a garage sale, but it appeared safe. Detectives said that the crib looked like new.

National statistics show that each year, most of the cribs purchased are used, but many experts recommend against it.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has the following guidelines to determine if an old crib is safe to use:

  • The mattress should be firm and tight-fitting. You should not be able to fit two fingers side by side between the mattress and the side of the crib.
  • There should be no missing or broken hardware or slats.
  • Slats should be no more than 2 3/8 inches apart (about the width of a soda can).
  • Corner posts should not be higher than 1/16 inch above the headboard and footboard. If longer, a baby's clothing could catch on the post and strangle the baby.
  • There should be no design cutouts in the headboard or footboard.

The CPSC says, though an old or antique crib may be beautiful and sentimental, if it doesn't meet modern safety standards, it should not be used.

You should also check to see cribs have been recalled before you buy them. Check through the government site

Please watch 7NEWS for more on this story.

Print this article Back to Top