3 Indicted In Family's Carbon Monoxide Deaths

Lofgren Family Died In Aspen-Area Home

Three people have been indicted in the deaths of a family killed by carbon monoxide poisoning while staying in an Aspen home during Thanksgiving 2008.

Parker and Caroline Lofgren, along with their children, Owen, 10 and Sophie, 8, bought a weekend stay at the luxury home at a church auction.

Friends joining them for the holiday weekend found the family of four dead from the deadly gas leak in the home.

Investigators determined a combination of mechanical, electrical and plumbing problems caused the leak.

On Friday, a grand jury investigating the case issued three indictments, Assistant Deputy District Attorney Arnold Mordkin told 7NEWS.

"The pipes vented the carbon monoxide exhaust, instead of outside through the pipes, the pipes were broken, and it vented it inside the house," said Mordkin.

Marlin Brown and Erik Peltonen were each charged with four counts criminal negligent homicide and four counts of reckless endangerment, according to court records. Brian Pawl was charged with four counts of reckless endangerment.

Read the indictments

Brown is the owner of Roaring Fork Plumbing and Heating, which installed the boiler and pipes at the home, Mordkin said. Peltonen, who is now retired, was the city of Aspen building inspector for the residence and Pawl works as a Pitkin County building plan examiner and field inspector.

Mordkin told 7NEWS all three suspects were notified of the charges Friday and surrendered to authorities.

"We are very pleased with this outcome," Hildy Feuerbach, sister of Caroline Lofgren, told 7NEWS. "It won't bring back Parker, Caroline, Owen and Sophie, but it will hopefully prevent such a tragedy from ever occurring again."

The Lofgren family also issued a statement thanking the grand jury and district attorney for their efforts in investigating the case.

"While the filing of criminal charges in the deaths of Parker, Caroline, Owen, and Sophie will not relieve our familiesÂ’ sorrow, it will hopefully assist in exposing those responsible and holding them fully accountable," the statement read.

"As importantly, we hope that these criminal proceedings, as well as the imminent civil proceedings and the ongoing efforts by the Consumer Product Safety Commission will send a clear message to contractors, and building inspectors and even manufacturers of heating equipment to ensure that such senseless carbon monoxide deaths are prevented in the future," the statement said. "Our families will continue with our efforts to make the public aware of the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning and passing laws, and ensuring the enforcement of those laws, to prevent such tragedies from every happening again."