Fire Weather Watch issued February 24 at 3:25PM MST expiring February 26 at 6:00PM MST in effect for: Alamosa, Baca, Bent, Costilla, Custer, Fremont, Huerfano, Kiowa, Las Animas, Prowers, Pueblo, Saguache
Fire Weather Watch issued February 24 at 1:55PM MST expiring February 26 at 6:00PM MST in effect for: Cheyenne, Kit Carson
Winter Storm Watch issued February 22 at 9:50PM MST expiring February 24 at 5:00PM MST in effect for: Yuma
A Colorado Springs mom almost gave her toddler an epilepsy drug after a prescription mistake at a Walgreens pharmacy Monday.A Boulder woman said she was given a drug for seizures and bipolar disorders instead of an antibiotic.In the Colorado Springs case, Kathy DeRosa said she was expecting to get a Motrin flu medication at Walgreens, but when she opened the bag, she noticed the bottle was smaller than usual.The bottle had DeRosa's 2-year-old's son name on the bottle, but instead of containing Motrin flu, the bottle contained levetiracetam, an epilepsy medication."He has asthma and some of the side effects of this medicine that they did give me are breathing problems," DeRosa told KRDO-TV. "It could have killed him."The Walgreens manager came to DeRosa's home, brought her the correct medicine and took the wrong medicine, DeRosa said.Walgreens issued a statement that said, "Prescription errors are rare and we take them very seriously."DeRosa said she won't stop using Walgreens pharmacy, but said she's learned a lesson."I just think parents should definitely check the labels of prescription bottles before they leave the store," she said.
Boulder Woman Given Wrong Medication
A Boulder woman also says she was given the wrong prescription.Rosie Allen picked up here prescription from the Walgreens at at 2870 28th Street. She told 7NEWS as soon as she saw the pills, she knew something was wrong."It was blue and triangular shaped, Allen said.Instead of antibiotics, she was given a drug that's usually for people who suffer from seizures and bipolar disorder. "I went with my gut feeling, something doesn't seem right," said Allen who noticed a large number of pills in the bottle. While the information on the bag was correct, the identity on the bottle is of another customer. A different drug is listed on the label. "It's alarming. Because either the person who was supposed to get the drug did not. I didn't get what I was supposed to. And now we have a little bit of a mix-up and that's concerning," Allen said. "I'm really glad that I took that extra step to check. Normally I wouldn't have," said Allen. "Don't trust your health to another individual."Walgreens spokesperson Robert Elfinger released this statement to 7NEWS:"We take this incident very seriously. We are sorry this occurred and we have apologized to the patient. We have a multi-step prescription filling process with numerous safety checks in each step to reduce the chance of human error. We will investigate what happened and work to prevent it from happening in the future."