'Occupy Denver' Protests Stay Quiet Sunday

Police: About 25 Protesters Arrested Saturday, Friday

"Occupy Denver" activists avoided clashes with police Sunday, after about 25 protesters were arrested on each of the two previous days.

Protesters were hanging out with signs on the sidewalks at Lincoln Park by the Capitol Building Sunday. But, as of 10 p.m., they had not blocked major streets or defied police orders, conflicts which led to arrests on Saturday and Friday.

Activists were, however, just as outspoken Sunday.

"There's no more middle class. You're going to have the super wealthy and you're going to have everybody else," said Derick Borrego.

Activists have to leave the state park property before an 11 p.m. curfew or face possible arrest, under state health and safety laws invoked by authorities.

On Twitter Sunday night, activists said police were warning protesters to leave the park overnight or prepare to be arrested.

On Saturday, most activists protested peacefully, but a couple dozen protesters blocked Broadway at 14th Avenue at the Civic Center throughout the afternoon. Denver police outfitted in riot gear moved into the roadway a few hours later and started pushing protesters off of Broadway. 7NEWS reporter Amanda Kost said officers arrested some of those in the street who refused to move.

About 25 people were arrested Saturday, including a man who was accused of grabbing a TV photojournalist's groin at about 10:30 p.m., police said. The man, identified as Corey Donahue, was arrested on investigation of sexual misconduct. Donahue had also been arrested at the Friday night protest.

During Saturday's clashes, Denver police Division Chief David Quinones said one officer used a can of pepper spray. He said it was up to each officer to use the spray at his or her discretion. Police planned to investigate whether or not the use of the pepper spray was justified, Quinones said.

Earlier in the day, a crowd of about 2,000 protesters marched through downtown as part of the Occupy movement.

A 7NEWS crew who followed the group’s progress said the marchers started at about noon by heading down the 16th Street Mall to the Federal Reserve Bank, where they stopped to hear several speeches. The protest then moved up 17th Street and back to Lincoln Park, where the protest has been based all week.

The Colorado State Patrol reopened Lincoln Park at about 11 a.m. Saturday. It was closed early Friday for clean up after troopers cleared protesters who had been camping in the park. Twenty-three people were arrested Friday.

The Occupy Denver and similar protests in other cities across the country are an extension of the "Occupy Wall Street" protest taking place in New York City.

Activists with Occupy Denver said Sunday night that they were considering filing an injunction with the courts to allow their continued occupation of Lincoln Park.

Print this article Back to Top